Username:   Remember Me
Password:  

Uber Articles {Über (ger) adj. above, beyond }

- Above and Beyond a Mere Article Directory

 
 

Eye Disease And Diabetes

By Toby Dushieney

Some of the longer term health issues associated with diabetes are also applicable to non diabetics, glaucoma and cataracts for example, but they are more common and occur earlier in people with diabetes.

However, both diabetics and those who do not have the disease are easily treated for both these conditions, but there are other eye diseases where treatment for a diabetic individual is likely to be less successful than for a non diabetic.

Retinopathy only appears in a diabetic person, the first signs usually showing after 10 years of the disease.

Some years ago, retinopathy almost always ended in going blind, but fortunately that situation has changed. In the UK, the General Practitioner Contract states that diabetics must have the back of their eyes checked on initial diagnosis, and then on an annual basis thereafter.

Very often you do not have to go to hospital for this examination as many local clinics have been set up with the equipment they need to do the scan.

To check for retinopathy, the patient’s eyes are dilated using eyedrops, and then a picture of the back of the eye is taken and examined for any damage. These pictures are compared over time in order to see if there is any gradual damage.

If you are a smoker, drinker or have high blood pressure you are at heightened risk of contracting retinopathy. This is bad enough, but you are then more likely to suffer kidney failure or heart disease.

The way to treat retinopathy is by laser rather than drugs. Only 5% of diabetics claim to have suffereed serious loss of vision with this treatment, the other 95% may suffer some slight los of field and night vision, but this is a very small loss of vision, especially when compared to the potential total loss of vision this disease brings.

The bottom line is that if you wish to preserve your sight and indeed avoid other diabetic health complications, be sure to take the correct medicine at the correct time, and maintain close monitoring of your blood sugar levels.

Toby has been diagnosed with diabetes for a number of years now. He also suffers from hypertension bought on by the diabetes. To ease this condition, he relaxes by making round table cloths. This helps him relax when he is stressed. Making round table cloths is a good way to combat stress.

categories: type 2 diabetes,type 1 diabetes,diabetes,Disease,chronic disease,illness

Article kindly provided by UberArticles.com

Topics: Diabetes | No Comments »

Tags: , , , , ,


Article Citation
MLA Style Citation:
Dushieney, Toby "Eye Disease And Diabetes." Eye Disease And Diabetes. 6 Jul. 2010. uberarticles.com. 31 Jul 2014 <http://uberarticles.com/health-and-fitness/diabetes/eye-disease-and-diabetes/>.

APA Style Citation:
Dushieney, T (2010, July 6). Eye Disease And Diabetes. Retrieved July 31, 2014, from http://uberarticles.com/health-and-fitness/diabetes/eye-disease-and-diabetes/

Chicago Style Citation:
Dushieney, Toby "Eye Disease And Diabetes" uberarticles.com. http://uberarticles.com/health-and-fitness/diabetes/eye-disease-and-diabetes/


Reprint Rights

Creative Commons License
This article is subject to a revocable license under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License, which means you may freely reprint it, in its entirety, provided you include the author's resource box along with LIVE VISIBLE links (without "nofollow" tags). We may revoke the license at any time with or without cause. You must also include the credit to UberArticles.com.

Comments are closed.

Disclaimer
Uber Articles and its partner sites cannot be held responsible for either the content nor the originality of any articles. If you believe the article has been stolen from you without your permission, please contact us and we will remove it immediately. If you have a problem with the accuracy or otherwise of the content of an article, please contact the author, not us! Also, please remember that any opinions and ideas presented in any of the articles are those of the author and cannot be taken to represent the opinions of Uber Articles. All articles are provided for informational purposes only. None of them should be relied upon for medical, psychological, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you need professional advice, see a professional. We cannot be held responsible for any use or misuse you make of the articles, nor can we be held responsible for any claims for earnings, cures, or other results that the article might make.
  • RSS Feed

    RSS for Diabetes