A hurricane is a violent tropical storm and it will generally occur in the months of June-November. Out of the months September is the most likely month for a hurricane. For someone that does their winters in the South, or lives there, need to be aware that hurricanes are going to happen frequently in these areas.
Preparing For a Hurricane
The Hurricane is mostly comprised of a rotating centre called and the eye of the storm. This is the nucleus of the storm and is found in the low pressure areas. These low pressure areas are common in the seas and hence they have a lot of space to develop. The eye is actually a non violent part of the storm and when it passes over the area, it looks like there was not storm over there at all. The next part of the storm is just after eye and is called the wall of the eye.
The winds around this place also called and the eye wall are very strong and violent. They can cross 100 MPH. they are also known to bring torrential rains along with them. a hurricane is much more dangerous than a tornado. This is because it is much larger and brings with it a combination of rains and winds which can be devastating. Some of the most devastating storms which have been recorded in human history have been known to have a diameter of over 600 miles. These cause a lot of destruction, flooding and loss of life and property.
Steps to take while facing a Hurricane
* People living in low lying areas or close to the shore should move towards higher altitude or inland. The waves which the hurricane brings will be very high and have devastating force.
* An emergency kit with survival material should be kept ready in case your home becomes uninhabitable. Keep it ready in a back pack or a suitcase with rollers, and try to keep it light.
* Never watch a storm or hurricane from the shore. It is the most dangerous place to be in during such a time, with a very high fatality rate.
* When the eye is passing over it will stay for a few minutes to a half hour or so. You need to avoid the temptation to go outside.
* Repair any damage that is urgent immediately and leave anything else. You need to remember that the storm is constantly moving and you could be hit by the other side of the eye at any possible time and even stronger potential winds
* Listening to radio for updates is very important for status of the storm.
If you live in a farm and have enclosed animals, it is better to keep them in the outside. It is because from records it has been understood that enclosed animals are at more risk than ones in the open.
* A mobile home should be placed in an area which has a wind breaker near it. This can be a rock, or a tree cluster or a big building. The wind can sweep the mobile home away which can be dangerous to the occupants.
* Fastening the mobile home to the ground in a secure way is a good idea. It is a important to maintain its structural integrity and to make sure that it does not fly away. A good mobile home will come with hooks and provisions for doing the same.
* As the storm nears you need to abandon your home and take cover in a much safer and sturdier structure * Remaining in your mobile home during the storm is more dangerous than being outside If you get stuck outside you should lay down in a ditch that’s as far away from any objects that can be thrown around by the hurricane. You need to be prepared to move though should a storm surge come.
Article kindly provided by UberArticles.com
Topics: Health and Fitness | Comments Off
MLA Style Citation:
Irving, William "Prepare For A Hurricane." Prepare For A Hurricane. 21 Jun. 2010. uberarticles.com. 24 Dec 2014 <http://uberarticles.com/health-and-fitness/prepare-for-a-hurricane/>.
APA Style Citation:
Irving, W (2010, June 21). Prepare For A Hurricane. Retrieved December 24, 2014, from http://uberarticles.com/health-and-fitness/prepare-for-a-hurricane/
Chicago Style Citation:
Irving, William "Prepare For A Hurricane" uberarticles.com. http://uberarticles.com/health-and-fitness/prepare-for-a-hurricane/
Comments are closed.
Uber Articles and its partner sites cannot be held responsible for either the content nor the originality of any articles. If you believe the article has been stolen from you without your permission, please contact us and we will remove it immediately. If you have a problem with the accuracy or otherwise of the content of an article, please contact the author, not us! Also, please remember that any opinions and ideas presented in any of the articles are those of the author and cannot be taken to represent the opinions of Uber Articles. All articles are provided for informational purposes only. None of them should be relied upon for medical, psychological, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you need professional advice, see a professional. We cannot be held responsible for any use or misuse you make of the articles, nor can we be held responsible for any claims for earnings, cures, or other results that the article might make.