Username:   Remember Me

Uber Articles {Über (ger) adj. above, beyond }

- Above and Beyond a Mere Article Directory


Don’t Let Your Beloved Pets Be Poisoned By Antifreeze

By Carl Oliver

Every year as many as 10,000 pets and thousands of children are poisoned by ingesting antifreeze due to ignorance or accidentally in the United States. Dogs and cats are easily poisoned by small amounts of this coolant. Cats are affected four times more sensitive to coolant poisoning than dogs. It only takes 1 to 2 teaspoons to poison a cat. Only three teaspoons will poison a medium sized dog. In most cases this type of poisoning is fatal, but even if your pet does not die from an antifreeze poisoning, your pet’s health will be forever changed.

The toxic chemical with a sweet taste that is in antifreeze is ethylene glycol. The sweet taste is what attracts dogs, cats and children to it. There are states that are passing laws to require coolant makers to add denatoninol benzoate. Denatoninol benzoate is a bittering agent that is added during the manufacturing process. The bittering agent will not harm engines and is safe and biodegradable. It only costs pennies per gallon to add denatoninol benzoate. It seems like a small price to pay as a protective measure against pets and children being poisoned.

On April 15, 2010, Utah passed Senate Bill 218. This legislation was championed by Bill Breedlove, who sadly lost his dog “Freddy” to accidental antifreeze poisoning. Utah’s Governor Herbert signed this bill that states that as of January 1, 2011, any car coolant sold in the state of Utah must have denatonium benzoate added to it. This bill was passed to prevent children and pets from ingesting this poisonous substance.

Until national legislation and regulation is passed, it is best to take preventative measures and keep your pets and children safe. You can switch to propylene glycol based coolant which is less toxic than ethylene glycol. You can also check for leaks in your car and clean up any spills. You can also keep your car coolant in a tight container, in high places away from areas that pets and children might play. And last but not least, be sure to dispose of it properly.

If you suspect that your cat or dog has been poisoned, it is imperative that you call your veterinarian immediately. You may notice the following symptoms in your pet if they have ingested coolant: vomiting, increased heart beat, rapid breathing, weakness, increased thirst, intoxication behavior, diarrhea, seizures or coma. Although you might want to make your pet vomit, do not induce vomiting if your pet is in shock, unconscious or having trouble breathing. The best thing you can do for your pet is to rush to the veterinarian.

If you follow safe handling practices and take preventative measures, your pets and children can be kept safe from antifreeze poisoning.

Learn more about pet safety, by visiting the Humane Society of Utah’s web site today.

Article kindly provided by

Topics: Hobbies | Comments Off

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Article Citation
MLA Style Citation:
Oliver, Carl "Don’t Let Your Beloved Pets Be Poisoned By Antifreeze." Don’t Let Your Beloved Pets Be Poisoned By Antifreeze. 7 Jul. 2010. 2 Aug 2014 <>.

APA Style Citation:
Oliver, C (2010, July 7). Don’t Let Your Beloved Pets Be Poisoned By Antifreeze. Retrieved August 2, 2014, from

Chicago Style Citation:
Oliver, Carl "Don’t Let Your Beloved Pets Be Poisoned By Antifreeze"

Reprint Rights

Creative Commons License
This article is subject to a revocable license under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License, which means you may freely reprint it, in its entirety, provided you include the author's resource box along with LIVE VISIBLE links (without "nofollow" tags). We may revoke the license at any time with or without cause. You must also include the credit to

Comments are closed.

Uber Articles and its partner sites cannot be held responsible for either the content nor the originality of any articles. If you believe the article has been stolen from you without your permission, please contact us and we will remove it immediately. If you have a problem with the accuracy or otherwise of the content of an article, please contact the author, not us! Also, please remember that any opinions and ideas presented in any of the articles are those of the author and cannot be taken to represent the opinions of Uber Articles. All articles are provided for informational purposes only. None of them should be relied upon for medical, psychological, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you need professional advice, see a professional. We cannot be held responsible for any use or misuse you make of the articles, nor can we be held responsible for any claims for earnings, cures, or other results that the article might make.
  • RSS Feed

    RSS for Hobbies

  • Plugin UAW into your sites and start receiving fresh, unique and niche relevant content today and everyday!