Username:   Remember Me

Uber Articles {Über (ger) adj. above, beyond }

- Above and Beyond a Mere Article Directory


Child U.S. Passports: A Ticket To The World

By Ben Pate

Showing your children the world makes traveling a fun and educational sort of experience. If you want to take your children abroad, he or she will need a passport. Tons of questions surround kids passport, and the answers can leave you feeling much more at ease when traveling overseas with your children.

Everyone, from the youngest child to the oldest grandmother, needs a passport. If the child is under 16, he or she will need to replace their passport every five years. Once they get beyond this age, they won’t need to replace their passport for ten years. Damaged passports are also required to be replaced. If the only thing you need is additional passport pages, a passport agency can do this, and you won’t need to get an entirely new passport.

As of February 2008, passport application require the consent of both parents or legal guardians for children under 16. This consent may only be requested if your child is between the ages of 16 and 18. If your child is under 18, he or she will need to be there in person in front of the AA, the acceptance agent. Both parents or legal guardians are required to show valid forms of ID to the acceptance agent in order to be allowed to apply for the child.

You will need proof of US citizen ship if you need passport application form for your minor. This can be done in a variety of ways. You can either use an undamaged, previously-issued passport, a certified birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship, a naturalization certificate, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth. Next, you will be required to prove your relationship to the child. In order to do this, you will need a certified birth certificate featuring both parents’ names, a court order directing guardianship or custody, or an adoption decree. This birth certificate can be of a foreign country, you will just need another form of identification. After this, the parents or guardians will then have to prove their own identity. This requirement can be met with valid driver’s licenses, previously issued passports, government IDs, military IDs, or naturalization certificates. Photocopies will then be made, and the process concluded with the consent of both parents, payment for the passports, and submission of passport photos.

If you and your spouse happen to give birth to a child while overseas, and you both are American citizens, you will need to report the birth to the local US embassy or consulate. The Consular Report of Birth of a Citizen of the United States of America, simply a basic citizenship document, will be issued, meaning your child will be a valid United States citizen.

Just knowing how to obtain a passports for minors makes preparing for trips that much easier. And with all the great destinations out there for you and your family to visit, your passport application form is truly a key to the world.

Article kindly provided by

Topics: Travel and Leisure | Comments Off

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Article Citation
MLA Style Citation:
Pate, Ben "Child U.S. Passports: A Ticket To The World." Child U.S. Passports: A Ticket To The World. 25 Jun. 2010. 10 Sep 2014 <>.

APA Style Citation:
Pate, B (2010, June 25). Child U.S. Passports: A Ticket To The World. Retrieved September 10, 2014, from

Chicago Style Citation:
Pate, Ben "Child U.S. Passports: A Ticket To The World"

Reprint Rights

Creative Commons License
This article is subject to a revocable license under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License, which means you may freely reprint it, in its entirety, provided you include the author's resource box along with LIVE VISIBLE links (without "nofollow" tags). We may revoke the license at any time with or without cause. You must also include the credit to

Comments are closed.

Uber Articles and its partner sites cannot be held responsible for either the content nor the originality of any articles. If you believe the article has been stolen from you without your permission, please contact us and we will remove it immediately. If you have a problem with the accuracy or otherwise of the content of an article, please contact the author, not us! Also, please remember that any opinions and ideas presented in any of the articles are those of the author and cannot be taken to represent the opinions of Uber Articles. All articles are provided for informational purposes only. None of them should be relied upon for medical, psychological, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you need professional advice, see a professional. We cannot be held responsible for any use or misuse you make of the articles, nor can we be held responsible for any claims for earnings, cures, or other results that the article might make.
  • RSS Feed

    RSS for Travel and Leisure