Username:   Remember Me

Uber Articles {Über (ger) adj. above, beyond }

- Above and Beyond a Mere Article Directory


Foreign Entry Requirements That Are As Distinct As The Country

By Ben Pate

When traveling internationally, the U.S. passport requirements can be different depending on the country you are visiting. It is important to find out the rules and regulations that govern the entrance or re-entrance into the country that is your destination. While we have included some of the most popular destinations in this article, you will want to find out exact requirements exist concerning the country you will be traveling to. The destinations that will be mentioned here all require a passport to gain entrance or to return to the United States with the exception of Mexico. Some of our near by countries like Mexico and Canada only require a passport card and not a complete passport.

When traveling to the United Kingdom, you must be aware of the rules that govern entry or the need for a visa. A five-tier system is used by the United Kingdom to determine a visitors need to obtain a visa. The first tier applies to “highly skilled” workers such as a chemist and does not require a sponsor. All other tiers, however, do require the visitor has a sponsor in the United Kingdom.

Tier two affects “skilled” workers such as teachers who have been offered employment by a company based in the United Kingdom. Tier three relates to “low-skilled” workers such as construction or restaurant type employees who have been invited to fill positions with a specific purpose, for a specific project or due to a shortage in a particular field. The fourth tier relates to students and the fifth to temporary workers which would include musicians traveling to the United Kingdom for the purpose of a concert. The sponsorship provided to these last two tiers would be from an educational institution or a business within the United Kingdom.

A trip to Mexico requires either passports or passport cards for entry; however, a passport card cannot be used for air travel. Minors traveling without adults are required to carry a written consent by their parents, featuring the names of both parents and the child, the name of the child’s fellow travelers, and the notarized signature of the parents. This letter needs to be an original, not a copy. It’s recommended that this letter also give a brief summary of the trip, including such things as travel dates, reason for travel, and destinations, and airlines. The child also needs to carry proof of parent-child relationship, such as a birth certificate. Tourist cards, similar to a visa, are issued only if you’re staying for more than 72 hours outside of the “border zone,” or areas within 30 kilometers of the border. The price for these cards is usually included in air fare.

In France, you will only need to acquire a visa if you are staying for more than 90 days. Your passport also needs to be valid for the next three months.

It’s easy to see that some countries have stricter pass port requirements than others so be sure to do your research well in advance. Be sure to remember that all air travel requires a U.S. passport.

Article kindly provided by

Topics: Travel and Leisure | Comments Off

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Article Citation
MLA Style Citation:
Pate, Ben "Foreign Entry Requirements That Are As Distinct As The Country." Foreign Entry Requirements That Are As Distinct As The Country. 2 Jul. 2010. 29 Jul 2014 <>.

APA Style Citation:
Pate, B (2010, July 2). Foreign Entry Requirements That Are As Distinct As The Country. Retrieved July 29, 2014, from

Chicago Style Citation:
Pate, Ben "Foreign Entry Requirements That Are As Distinct As The Country"

Reprint Rights

Creative Commons License
This article is subject to a revocable license under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License, which means you may freely reprint it, in its entirety, provided you include the author's resource box along with LIVE VISIBLE links (without "nofollow" tags). We may revoke the license at any time with or without cause. You must also include the credit to

Comments are closed.

Uber Articles and its partner sites cannot be held responsible for either the content nor the originality of any articles. If you believe the article has been stolen from you without your permission, please contact us and we will remove it immediately. If you have a problem with the accuracy or otherwise of the content of an article, please contact the author, not us! Also, please remember that any opinions and ideas presented in any of the articles are those of the author and cannot be taken to represent the opinions of Uber Articles. All articles are provided for informational purposes only. None of them should be relied upon for medical, psychological, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you need professional advice, see a professional. We cannot be held responsible for any use or misuse you make of the articles, nor can we be held responsible for any claims for earnings, cures, or other results that the article might make.
  • RSS Feed

    RSS for Travel and Leisure