Username:   Remember Me

Uber Articles {Über (ger) adj. above, beyond }

- Above and Beyond a Mere Article Directory


Passport Name Change: Everything That You Need To Know

By Ben Pate

If your name has been legally changed, you are going to need a U.S. passport name change as well. There are different procedures for this depending on your particular situation, such as how old your prior passport is. Depending on a several factors, there may be a fee involved and you may have to make your application in person.

If the issue date of your current passport is less than a year ago and your name has been changed legally through marriage or a court order, your passport will be reissued without a fee. The passport in your former name, along with a certified copy or original of the proof of name change and the application must be mailed in together. You also need to include two photos which are no more than 6 months old.

When the current passport you hold in your prior name is more than one year old, you need to use a different form. This can also be mailed in as long as you have legal proof of the change in name. In this case, there is also a fee that must be sent along with your application. The proof of the change and the photos must be sent with this form as well.

If you are unable to provide proof of the name change that is legal, you will have to go to a passport agency to make your application. It will be treated like applying for a new passport. To prove your name change, you will have to furnish no less than 3 types of public records showing your birth date and place in addition to the new name. They will have to show usage of the name for at least five years.

Children who are less than 16 years of age must also apply in person for their passports and provide the same documents. They must be accompanied by their parents or guardians as well who will need to show legal proof of their relationship. The general requirements for passports for minors should be reviewed so that you have all the necessary documentation when you arrive at the agency.

Keep in mind that it can take four to six weeks, or even up to ten, to receive your new passport. If you have a need for it sooner, it is best to request your new passport application form to be expedited. In this case, you will also need to include the additional fee for this service. This service can be requested for any passport application.

Even when a passport is expedited, it can still take 2 to 3 weeks to get to you. If you are in an emergency situation in which you need the revised passport sooner, you may want to contact a passport expediting company to speed up the process.

As with all passport applications, if you are mailing a US passport name change, be sure that you package everything up securely. It is best to send it in a way that can be traced. It is also best to send in your passports forms as soon as your name changes, rather than wait until you are actually planning a trip.

Article kindly provided by

Topics: Travel and Leisure | Comments Off

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Article Citation
MLA Style Citation:
Pate, Ben "Passport Name Change: Everything That You Need To Know." Passport Name Change: Everything That You Need To Know. 1 Jul. 2010. 3 Dec 2014 <>.

APA Style Citation:
Pate, B (2010, July 1). Passport Name Change: Everything That You Need To Know. Retrieved December 3, 2014, from

Chicago Style Citation:
Pate, Ben "Passport Name Change: Everything That You Need To Know"

Reprint Rights

Creative Commons License
This article is subject to a revocable license under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License, which means you may freely reprint it, in its entirety, provided you include the author's resource box along with LIVE VISIBLE links (without "nofollow" tags). We may revoke the license at any time with or without cause. You must also include the credit to

Comments are closed.

Uber Articles and its partner sites cannot be held responsible for either the content nor the originality of any articles. If you believe the article has been stolen from you without your permission, please contact us and we will remove it immediately. If you have a problem with the accuracy or otherwise of the content of an article, please contact the author, not us! Also, please remember that any opinions and ideas presented in any of the articles are those of the author and cannot be taken to represent the opinions of Uber Articles. All articles are provided for informational purposes only. None of them should be relied upon for medical, psychological, financial, legal, or other professional advice. If you need professional advice, see a professional. We cannot be held responsible for any use or misuse you make of the articles, nor can we be held responsible for any claims for earnings, cures, or other results that the article might make.
  • RSS Feed

    RSS for Travel and Leisure